We care. Help for pregnant women and birth mothers.
  Contact us
  Place a Child for Adoption
  Ways we can help you
  Table of Contents
  Help By State
  About us
  Q and A's
  Pregnancy Issues
  Pregnancy Q and A's
  Pregnancy Concerns
  Pregnancy Help
  Pregnancy Financial Help
  Pregnancy Medical Help
  Government Help
  Adoption Choices
  Adoption Help
  Adoption Laws / Rights
  Other Adoption Agencies
  Parenting Your Child
  Mother / Child Safety
  We Care About You
  Meet Dr. Berger
  Privacy Statement
Help By City or State
Birth fathers rights during the adoption process Please feel free to contact me, Dr Vince Berger, at Adoption Services if you have any questions or if we can help you in any way Birth fathers rights during the adoption process

Birth Father Rights Regarding Child Adoption

It is important to know and understand that both the biological mother and the biological father have rights concerning their child.  This is the case whether or not the birth father is still involved with the birth mother and even if his name is not on the birth certificate.  There is no adoption situation where the rights of the biological birth father can be ignored.  Even if the birth mother is not sure who the biological father is, the unknown person still has rights which must be addressed.

Rights of the Birth Father

Birth Fathers Rights Regarding Child Adoption

If the birth father is actively involved in the adoption, he can make many of the adoption related choices along with the birth mother, including the type of child adoption, such as open or closed child adoption or an agency or private child adoption.  The laws of the state in which the birth mother terminates her rights and the laws of the birth father's state of residence will help define the birth father's rights.

Every U.S. state and territory has a statute providing for the ending (called termination,surrender, or relinquishment) of the parental rights of the birth mother and birth father. Termination of parental rights ends the biological parent-child relationship. Each state has its own stringent requirements that must be met regarding making this decision.  Once the relationship has been ended, the child is legally free to be adopted. ChildAdoptionLaws.com will help you to find the requirements of any or all states. You may want to check the laws of the state in which you reside, under the heading of termination, surrender or relinquishment of parental rights.

Legal, Biological or Putative Father Rights

The legal father of a child is the man a woman is married to even if she has been separated from him. 

A putative father, also called the alleged father, is the biological father of a child born out-of-wedlock. The legal father, biological father, or putative father all have rights which must be addressed.

The information below has been adapted from a Child Welfare Information Gateway PDF article entitled The Rights of Presumed (Putative) Fathers.

The Child Welfare Information Gateway article emphasizes the rights of a birth father. This resource provides basic information about a biological or putative father’s rights and putative father registries. It should be noted that, in general, there is a lack of uniformity among States as to the level of protection available to unwed fathers.

Putative Father Registries

In almost all states the putative father is entitled to notice of proceedings to terminate his parental rights and approximately 23 States have statutes authorizing the establishment of putative father registries.

Revocation of Claim

Approximately half of the U.S. States make provisions in their statutes that allow a putative father to revoke or rescind a notice of intent to claim paternity.

Access to Information

Access to information maintained in registries also varies from state to state. Typically, access is limited to the following:

  • Birth mothers
  • Courts
  • Attorneys
  • Licensed adoption agencies
  • Prospective adoptive parents
  • State departments or divisions of social services
  • State offices of child support enforcement
  • Any other person upon a court order for good cause shown
  • Registries of other States.

Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights

Birth parents who wish to place their children for adoption may voluntarily relinquish their rights or, in some cases, the court may involuntarily end their parental rights. Your adoption agency can assist you with information about the voluntary and involuntary ending of your parental rights.

The following has been adapted from the the Child Welfare Information Gateway PDR article entitled Grounds for the Involuntary termination of Parental Rights.

When addressing whether parental rights should be terminated involuntarily, most States require that a court:

  • Determine a parent to be unfit through one or more grounds for termination of the parental relationship
  • Determine whether severing the parent-child relationship will be in the child's best interest

The most common grounds for involuntary termination of parental rights include:

  • A felony conviction of the parent(s) for a crime of violence against the child or another family member, or a conviction for any felony when the term of incarceration is such a length of time as to have a negative impact on the child
  • Severe or chronic abuse or neglect
  • Abuse or neglect of other children in the household
  • Abandonment
  • Long-term mental illness or deficiency of the parent(s)
  • Long-term alcohol- or drug- Induced incapacity of the parent(s)
  • Failure to support or maintain contact with the child
  • A child has been in foster care for 15 of the most recent 22 months
  • A child to be an abandoned infant
  • Involuntary termination of rights of the parent to another child

Birth Mother Rights

For information about Birth Mother Rights click on this link.

If You Need Help

For more information about the rights of the legal, biological or putative father's rights, please contact us at Adoption Services so that we can help you.  Please visit the link "Ways we can help you".

We Can Help a Birth Parent Living in Any State

We are licensed in multiple states and are able to help a birth mother, birth father, and adopting family living in any of the 50 U.S. states.
Birth Fathers Rights Regarding Child Adoption
Birth Fathers Rights Regarding Child Adoption
Resources for Adopting Families and Parenting Tips.
  Contact us
  Ways we can help you
  Child Adoption with us
  Table of Contents
  Help By State
  About us
  Q and A's
  Adoption Consultant
  Domestic Adoption
  International Adoption
  Special Adoptions
  Rights and Laws
  Financial Assistance
  Medical Assistance
  Government Help
  Raising Your Child
  Free Adoption Manual
  Child Abuse
  Waiting Time and Fees
  We Care About You
  Meet Dr. Berger
  Other Adoption Agencies
Help By City or State
Safe Surf Rated Safe for Kids
Adoption Services
Follow Adoption Services on TwitterLike Adoption Services on YouTubeFollow Adoption Services on Facebook
    We love the people
who created our site   









Adoption Agencies



Adoption Agencies Alabama Adoption Agencies Alaska Adoption Agencies Arizona Adoption Agencies Arkansas
Adoption Agencies California Adoption Agencies Colorado Adoption Agencies Connecticut Adoption Agencies Delaware
Adoption Agencies Florida Adoption Agencies Georgia Adoption Agencies Hawaii Adoption Agencies Idaho
Adoption Agencies Illinois Adoption Agencies Indiana Adoption Agencies Iowa Adoption Agencies Kansas
Adoption Agencies Kentucky Adoption Agencies Louisiana Adoption Agencies Maine Adoption Agencies Maryland
Adoption Agencies Massachusetts Adoption Agencies Michigan Adoption Agencies Minnesota Adoption Agencies Mississippi
Adoption Agencies Missouri Adoption Agencies Montana Adoption Agencies Nebraska Adoption Agencies Nevada
Adoption Agencies New Hampshire Adoption Agencies New Jersey Adoption Agencies New Mexico Adoption Agencies New York
Adoption Agencies North Carolina Adoption Agencies North Dakota Adoption Agencies Ohio Adoption Agencies Oklahoma
Adoption Agencies Oregon Adoption Agencies Pennsylvania Adoption Agencies Rhode Island Adoption Agencies South Carolina
Adoption Agencies South Dakota Adoption Agencies Tennessee Adoption Agencies Texas Adoption Agencies Utah
Adoption Agencies Vermont Adoption Agencies Virginia Adoption Agencies Washington Adoption Agencies West Virginia
Adoption Agencies Wisconsin Adoption Agencies Wyoming    




Adoption Agencies and Adoption Assistance


I am searching for financial assistance for pregnant women or medical assistance for pregnant women to help me take care of my baby.

Click here is you are looking for information regarding pregnancy, medical concerns for pregnant women and financial, medical and emotional resources and support Learn how to be a better parent Click here if you are considering placing a child for adoption If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to call us. Click here for information on adopting children

Adoption Agencies Giving up baby for adoption